How long is the policy for?

All of our policies are annual, lasting 12 continuous months.

What am I covered for?
  • Accidental damage
  • Theft from a secure place
  • Unintentional fly away
  • 3rd Party Property Damage

For the full details of your policy coverage, please read our policy wording and IPID

Can I cancel the policy?

If you wish to cancel then you can do this anytime by contacting info@moonrockinsurance.com. We will provide a full refund if cancelled within 14 days of your policy start date. If you have made a claim and received a benefit under your policy or cancel after your cooling off period, no refund can be made to you.

How will the policy renew?

You will recieve a renewal reminder 30 days in advance of the renewal date next year. If we do not hear from you, then the policy will automatically renew to avoid a gap in cover for you. This will be charged to the payment card on the account and can be cancelled within 14 days.

Please contact us if you do not wish for your policy to renew.

How do I make a complaint?

We hope you will be very happy as a customer of moonrock. If you do wish to make a complaint though you can contact us anytime.

Call: +44 (0) 345 604 8594

If you are not satisfied with the underwriter’s response or you have not been provided with a stage one response within two weeks, you are entitled to refer the matter to Lloyd’s.

Email: complaints@lloyds.com
Call: +44 (0) 20 7327 5693

If you remain dissatisfied after Lloyd’s has considered your complaint, you may have the right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)
Email: complaint.info@financial-ombudsman.org.uk
Call: +44 (0) 800 023 4567

For more information about our complaints prodedure, click here


What happens if I crash my drone?

Not to worry, it is what we are here for! Please make every attempt you can to recover the drone from where it has crashed. Then take as many images of it as you can to highlight the crash site, the damage to the drone and any other 3rd party property damage. The more detail you can provide to the claims team to assess the damage, the easier they will be able to process it.

How do I make a claim?

You can raise a claim here – Make a claim. Our team are on hand 24/7 to assist you.

Do I have to pay an Excess?

There is a £100 excess on all hull and third party damage claims.

Drone Flying

Where can I fly my drone?

We cover you to fly anywhere within the UK and Europe. The local area may have specific rules for where you can or cannot fly. Please ensure you are aware of these rules before flying.